[tn-bird] Belated Post/Whimbrel @ S. Holston Lake

  • From: Kat92047@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 11:02:48 -0400

On Wednesday, Oct. 16, Tess Cumbie, Reece Jamerson, Howard P. Langridge and
Bryan Stevens did some birding at  the Weir Dam below S. Holston Lake in
Sullivan County, Musick's Campground at S. Holston Lake in Sullivan County and
Quarry and Orchard Bogs in Shady Valley, Johnson County.

Best bird of the day was a Whimbrel. The bird flew over while the party was
birding the TVA Lake Access area near Musick's. The bird was flying from the
direction of Musick's, but when the party had been there earlier, no shorebirds
were seen.

At Musick's we did have a flock of  about 10 American Pipits. Also had
White-crowned Sparrows at Musick's.In the TVA area we had Ruby-crowned
Kinglets,  Palm Warblers, Yellow-rumped Warblers and a Tennessee Warbler. Also,
lots of Black Vultures on the ground or in perches in trees.

We also had a Northern Harrier in a field on the approach to Musick's.

In Shady Valley, we had trouble getting sparrows to rise out of the grass at
Quarry Bog, but we did sight Swamp Sparrows, Song Sparrows and a Marsh Wren.
Also had a Cooper's Hawk. Also had a small flock of Bobolinks, five or six
birds.

At Orchard Bog in Shady Valley, had another good bird: a perched Peregrine
Falcon. Got good looks through spotting scopes.

Some foul weather for birding, but good birds made it worth the effort.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN