[tn-bird] Barking Bird or Flying Dog

  • From: "David & Gloria Patterson" <dgpatterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:27:57 -0000

June 10, 5 a.m., we heard what sounded like a barking dog, perhaps 1500 feet
away.  It came closer, far too fast for a dog, stopped a few places near our
house, then returned the direction from which it came, and out of hearing.

The sounds were single barks, continued the entire five or so minutes it was
within hearing range, spaced about 1.5 seconds apart, and at closer range were
more resonant than dog barks.  Imagine a mix of mid-sized dog, Canada Goose and
Crow.  The neighboring dogs did not answer, as they certainly would have to a
real dog bark.

I understand that Long-eared Owls sometimes "bark".  Is this a possibility?  My
Long-eared recording is only soft hoots.  Are there any suggestions for a
recording?

Gloria says she heard the same sounds 2-3 days ago, also during the early
morning.

David and Gloria Patterson
Chattanooga