[tn-bird] Backyard birding can be fun and rewarding

  • From: FINCH64@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 23:14:42 EDT

I'm new to the list and have not had much field experience except some with
the NTOS a few years back. I recently renewed my membership and hope to get
out there birding again. I have been doing some birding in my own back yard
to get into practice and making notes. I am not sure if this will help
anybody else but I was surprised that I thought of these things simply by
observing common backyard birds.

While watching a Tufted Titmouse preening I made a note that preening birds
offer a wonderful opportunity to examine their plumage in greater detail. I
also made notes in reference to bird calls which are similar to pay close
attention to subtle differences which might aid in identification. I also
made it a habit to identify certain landmarks with a memorable name and to
identify other places in reference to this landmark. For example, on my first
outing I noticed a male Indigo Bunting favors the high bare branch of a
particular tree for singing. I call this the 'Indigo Tree' and my notes are
full of references to other birds - the aforementioned Tufted Titmouse for
example or a Mourning Dove - also sitting in the 'Indigo Tree'. In reference
to bird calls I am also trying to listen to as many as I can and learn them.
I think this will aid me in the field in severeal ways. I can filter out the
common species to concentrate on the target birds. Also, even if I don't know
what something is at least I may have an idea of what it is not.

I am sure I will make other observations in my notes as I continue to bird my
own backyard. My address is Murfreesboro but actually we live on the edge of
the woods - in the middle of the Cedar Glade between Almaville Road and
Blackman Road. We have about 21 acres here - some is developed with houses
but there is still a lot of forest as well. Anyone who wishes to come and
bird here is welcome. I can't guarantee you will add much to your life list
but one never knows that something might be out there. Maybe a Bewick's Wren?

Barry Jernigan
finch64@xxxxxxx
Murfreesboro, TN