[TN-Bird] Ash-throated Flycatcher still present Shelby Co. 1/2/12

  • From: kings4birds@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 15:00:43 -0500 (EST)

Seen feeding on River Rd., section past the last 90 degree turn and after the
big cotton field to Sasser Boat Launch parking lot, Shelby Forest State Park.
Light but regular traffic flushes it, but it was there at about 11:15 a.m. and
returned to the road again before I left at near noon. Jeff Wilson had been
watching it feeding for about an hour when I got there. It looks off-balance,
feeding on the surface; tipping and drooping its wings. Interesting too was
watching robins and waxwings bathing in icy-edged puddles near the cotton
field...Brrrr!

I looked for but did not find LeConte's Sparrows in an overgrown field north
and west of Chickasaw Lake in Shelby Farms. I did see Song and Savannah
Sparrows, and wish I'd had more time. Some of those fields have been mowed
recently, so I want to try again before they get to this one too!

Gail King
5595 Ashley Sq. N.
Memphis
901-268-0035