[TN-Bird] Tennessee's Watchable Wildlife web site updates

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 22:37:00 +0000

I wanted to share with you all some updates that we've made on the web page
over the last 6-12 months.  Slowly, but surely, we are getting new things added
and updated!
http://www.tnwatchablewildlife.org/index.cfm

1. I worked with Susan Bradfield to do a complete overhaul and update of the
Woodworking for Wildlife document.  This is the old light green covered booklet
that TWRA has given out for 15+ years.  We have everything online only right
now, but each account and box designs can be both viewed online and saved as
PDF's and printed out.
http://www.tnwatchablewildlife.org/woodworkingforwildlife.cfm

2. I have added about 15 new places for watching wildlife across the state and
updated several site accounts.  We now have over 200 places to watch wildlife
on the web site now!  I have also fleshed out several places on Percy Priest
Lake.  There are now detailed pages for the dam area, Cook Recreation Area,
Anderson Road Rec area and about 6 other sites.
http://www.tnwatchablewildlife.org/wheretowatch.cfm

I haven't fleshed out too many sites with really detailed info on birding as
I'm saving that for the Tennessee Birding Trails project that is underway.

Also, most of the sites on the Watchable web page are Hot Spots in eBird, so I
encourage using them!

3. Although I have more work to do on this one, Cyndi Routledge and I have
developed a Similar Species Comparisons page for commonly misidentified
species.  I have several more comparisons to add and some details to add on
some of the existing comparisons pages, but that'll come with time.  I suspect
we could get crazy with doing comparisons though!
http://tnwatchablewildlife.org/similarspecies.cfm

4.  Daniel Moss helped me immensely with the Mammals page.  We now have
complete species accounts for all of Tennessee's mammals.  I know, I know, they
aren't birds, but this was a big section we wanted to complete.
http://tnwatchablewildlife.org/mammals.cfm

5.  Cyndi Routledge wrote about 20 new bird species accounts.  These are less
frequently encountered species, but are birds that are annual in the state,
i.e. Pacific Loon, Red-necked Grebe, etc.

6.  I have also reorganized the toolbar on the left in order to make finding
the most frequently searched out pages easier.  Also, all of the above pages
are also found on the home page.

7. As always, we update the web site monthly with a Critter of the Month and a
photo gallery of photos submitted by folks like yourself.  We also have a
Facebook page where we post a critter of the week (most weeks I remember to
anyway!) and folks ask questions, etc.  At Facebook, search: Tennessee's
Watchable Wildlife or tnwatchablewildlife

8.  Finally, we post events and timely things on the home page, like links to
the Sandhill Crane Festival.

Cheers,
Scott Somershoe

State Ornithologist