[TN-Bird] Anhingas, Gibson County

  • From: "Mark Greene" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: TN-Birds Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 14:22:24 -0700

Wednesday, June 18, 2014
Old Hwy. 104
Western Gibson County

I made a quick stop on Old Hwy 104 this morning and looked back to the north
towards the bottoms and spotted two male Anhingas soaring. Look for an
accipiter like flap-flap-glide as they gain altitude and start to soar. They,
especially the males, like to soar near the colony so this makes them fairly
easy to spot in the air. There were also still 40+ Mississippi Kites in the air
in the same area so from this distance sometimes the Anhingas at certain angles
will fool you. It might take several minutes but patience will be rewarded.
Lots of soaring birds in the area today in addition to the kites and Anhingas -
adult Bald Eagle, Red-tailed Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, Black Vulture, and
Turkey Vulture. Great Blue Herons and Great Egrets are continually coming and
going to and from the nesting colony. I also spotted one Double-crested
Cormorant leaving the colony today. Still no signs of the Black-bellied
Whistling Ducks that were seen last week.

I also had another Lark Sparrow today on Quincy Butler Road in Gibson County.

Good birding!

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN
Gibson County