[TN-Bird] Tom McNeil recognized by Cornell and Audubon for national eBirder award

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 12:29:07 -0400

Tom McNeil, our local birder from Elizabethton, TN,

has been selected as the national eBirder for the

Month of May by Cornell University and the National

Audubon Society.  Tom, because of his willingness to

advance with modern birding tools and lead the rest

of us into this vast and highly-important realm of

birds, has easily taken the regional lead in being one

of Tennessee's most recognized and talented birders.

eBird is a global tools for birders and critical data for

science

A real-time, online checklist program, eBird has

revolutionized the way that the birding community

reports and accesses information about birds.

Launched in 2002 by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology

and National Audubon Society, eBird provides rich

data sources for basic information on bird abundance

and distribution at a variety of spatial and temporal

scales.

eBird's goal is to maximize the utility and accessibility

of the vast numbers of bird observations made each

year by recreational and professional bird watchers.

It is amassing one of the largest and fastest growing

biodiversity data resources in existence. For example,

in March 2012, participants reported more than

3.1 million bird observations across North America!

-- Wallace Coffey, Bristol, TN

Tom McNeil, May 2014

eBirder of the Month

Tom McNeil and his partner Cathy Myers at one of 117 locations where he
submitted a checklist during May 2014.

Tom McNeil and his partner

Cathy Myers at one of 117

locations where he submitted

a checklist during May 2014.

Please join us in congratulating Tom McNeil

of Elizabethton, TN, USA, winner of the

May 2014 eBird Challenge, sponsored by

Carl Zeiss Sports Optic. 328 birders submitted

at least 100 checklists during the month of May

making them eligible for this contest. Tom's

name was drawn at random from this group.

Some of you may be wondering, how is it possible

to enter 100 checklists in a single month?! We

asked Tom to let us know how he did it. Here's

what Tom said: "Wow!  This is still a total surprise!

I'm surprised at both the luck in being selected and

in the fact that I submitted over 100 checklists for

May 2014!  Haha..I double-checked the numbers

to make sure (which is one of the things that is quick

and easy to do on eBird). This past January marked

25 years that I have been birding, so I will think of it

as an anniversary gift as well.

I became interested in birds as an

undergraduate biology student at East

Tennessee State University. Actually,

prior to taking an ornithology class under

Dr. Fred Alsop in 1989, I was not-at-all

interested in birds. Dr. Alsop informed

us that the course would change our lives

forever.and he was correct! Once, on a

coastal field trip to the Outer Banks of

North Carolina, a naturalist at the NC

Aquarium asked us if we were birding

as a club or a class. Dr. Alsop calmly

answered "It is just a way of life".

For me, those words are even more true today than

they were at that time. After finishing graduate

school at ETSU, I began teaching biology classes

at Northeast State Community College in

Blountville, TN, and have been there ever since.

In describing how I use eBird, I thought at first

that it might be easier to tell you how I do not

use it. I was going to make the statement that

"I do not use eBird for grocery shopping". But then,

I suddenly realized that I have submitted several

checklists from grocery store parking lots in multiple

states! I guess eBird has become "just a way of life".

May the 2nd is a good example of a somewhat

typical day. Before leaving for work on that day,

I spent a few minutes birding on the back deck
<http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18175684> .

I arrived at work a bit early, so I birded along the walkway
<http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18177475>

to the building entrance. After class, I drove to a

local park <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18179774>  for some
birding time. Then I stopped briefly
<http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18181716>

on the way home. Once home, I opened the doors and

windows and began an afternoon list
<http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18187127> , which can often

be quite different from a morning list.

I have been using eBird for less than two years, but in

that time I have submitted over 2,500 checklists.

Many of those checklists were from the boxes of

field-cards that I have saved over the years. That

shoe-box data is now archived and available to

anyone that would need it. It is also contributing

to the scientific understanding of birds distributions.

Plus, I can access the data in lots of different ways.

With just one click, I could pull-up every American

Robin observation that I have made at an individual

birding spot or in the entire world! That is awesome!

The Bar Charts are one of my favorite eBird tools for

looking at data for a particular area and making

predictions about arrival/departure times.

But, the tool that has made me such an avid

eBirder is the BirdsEye BirdLog app. Taking

notes in the field and then returning home

to enter them in a data base can be quite

time-consuming.especially if you have birded

multiple locations on a single day. That was

the primary reason that I was resistant to

using eBird for so long. But with BirdLog - I

record the data, add details if needed, and

submit directly from the field. My phone has

replaced my pad and pencil. The locations can

be quickly accessed by map, species can be

pulled-up by band codes, and individuals can

be added by simply tapping the number. Also,

I can quickly generate a complete tally at the

end of the day. These time-saving tricks make

record-keeping quick and easy.

I did enjoy a great deal of birding in May. My

partner, Cathy Myers, and I traveled to Arizona

and Texas for a couple of weeks of exciting birding.

This was her first time traveling west of Oklahoma,

so she added a total of 118 species to her life list.

I was able to pick-up 17 life birds. And yes, eBird

played a major role in allowing us to find some of

those species. The View and Explore Data features

are fantastic for narrowing down precise spots to

look for specific species. Prior to leaving, I spent

a few days using these features (especially the

Range/Point Maps and Explore a Location). Using

that data, we were able to quickly find Burrowing

Owl and Tropical Kingbird in Tucson; Elegant Trogon

and Whiskered Screech-Owl in Cave Creek Canyon;

and Olive Warbler in Flagstaff...plus many other

species. We monitored the Rare Bird Alerts

on eBird as well.

We submitted checklists at every location we birded,

even at the interstate rest stops!  Another nice

eBird feature is the ability to share a checklist

with others in your party.

Here are a dozen areas we birded:

Buffalo Lake NWR <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18402256>

Kachina Wetlands <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18416159>

Upper Lake Mary <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18422585>

Coconino NF <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18448548> -Schultz
Pass

Oak Creek Canyon <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18470693>
-West Fork

Grand Canyon <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18489470> -South
Rim

The Arboretum at Flagstaff
<http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18498068>

Sweetwater Wetlands <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18509768>

Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
<http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18523396>

Lake Cochise <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18540821>

Cave Creek Canyon <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18540920>
-South Fork

Pedernales Falls SP <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18583841>

Also, our local bird club (Lee and Lois Herndon

Chapter of the Tennessee Ornithological Society
<http://www.tnbirds.org/chapters.htm> )

annually recognizes members who reach 200

species in our five-county area. Cathy and I

made an attempt to reach that number before

we headed west (and we made it). Of course,

that extra effort also helped boost the number

of checklists submitted for May.

My sincere thanks goes out to the entire eBird

and Cornell Lab team for the fantastic job that

you do!

- Tom McNeil

 <http://www.nsf.gov/> National Science Foundation

Wolf Creek Charitable Foundation

Leon Levy Foundation

Connect with eBird - Enter Your Email Address to Subscribe to our Email
Newsletter

*

The latest news about eBird, birding, ornithology, and conservation
delivered to your inbox.

C Audubon <http://www.audubon.org/>  and Cornell Lab of
<http://www.birds.cornell.edu/?__hstc=60209138.05b7d8bb2e583212b795fad41fcd3
f5e.1395940809704.1402550013400.1403192629378.177&__hssc=60209138.1.14031926
29378&__hsfp=548545729>

JPEG image

PNG image

PNG image