[TN-Bird] Re: An ODD find

  • From: Sharon Monett <sbm4him@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird Listserv <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 06:34:54 -0400

Details on sighting of the brown pelican:

Go across the Ft. Loudon dam on 321 and turn left onto TN-444 W. Pass the
Tellico Dam and keep going--I'm not sure how far it was, usually I keep
track, but this time I was just out exploring and didn't think to.  Not
more than just a few miles though.

You'll pass a big manmade sculpture thing on the left, noting the entry
into Tellico Village (concrete sculpture with little water cascade and the
large words "Tellico Village").
Once you see that sign, turn in to the next boat launch area on the left,
which I think is the Tellico Villlage public boat ramp area.  When I saw
it, the pelican was perched on a pole that says "slow, no wake" out very
near the actual boat ramp entry into the water.

My sister lives very close to there, so I showed her the spot too, so she
could check from time to time.  Hope some of you spot it this weekend!!

Question from a Non-Birder: If it's a young pelican, how did it get here?
Is it possible there's a family of brown pelicans, or is it more likely
it's just this one young one? Will it wise up and leave soon?