[TN-Bird] 1-Franklin's G.- 2 Roseate Spoonbills - 3 Piping Plovers - Northwest TN

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 01:57:21 EDT

August 23, 2009
Great River Road, Dyer Co.
Island 13, Tiptonville Landing - Lake Co.
Reelfoot Lake, Samburg- Obion Co.

The temp, the blue sky and the smell of fall in the air just made it too
tempting not to go to Island 13 in Lake Co. this morning. It was a HALCYON
DAY,  believe me the kingfishers mated somewhere..........

Right off the bat, I almost ran passed a white bird in a roadside pool on
the Great River Road north of the Obion River. In fact I drove a half mile
before I convinced myself the bird looked a little pink. I turned around
only to  find two immature ROSEATE SPOONBILLS resting in the pool just south of
the  entrance to Moss Island Refuge. They were there on my return trip in
the  afternoon. Photos posted starting @
_http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/image/116445117_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/image/116445117)

Just south of Highway 79, in another small wet place in an Ag Field that
produces every year, I located a slug of shorebirds including: 7 Semipalmated
 Plover, 28 Killdeer, 9 Black-necked Stilt (4-a / 5 imm), 3 Greater
Yellowlegs,  11 Lesser Yellowlegs, 2 Solitary, 1 Spotted, 28 Semipalmated
Sandpiper, 3  Western, 80+ Least and 7 Pectoral.

At Island 13, before SIXTEEN 4-wheelers took over, I counted;  THREE PIPING
PLOVERS (2-a / 1imm.)
Photos @ _http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/pipingplover_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/pipingplover)

, 1 Black-bellied Plover adult in molt, 7 Semipalmated Plover, Killdeer, 1
Solitary, 2 Greater Yellowlegs, 2 Spotted, 1 UPLAND (a flyover- photos), 2
Sanderling, 80+ Semipalmated Sandpiper, 4 Western Sandpiper, 200+ Least, 1
Baird's Sandpiper, 6 Pectoral Sandpiper, 1 Buff-breasted Sandpiper.

The surprise at Tiptonville Bar was an early adult FRANKLIN'S GULL  that
flew in and rested with 3 Caspian Terns and the next eye opener came  at
Samburg where I counted 11 OSPREY and 9 Caspian Terns.
Seventeen species of Wind Birds on the day with a few rarities thrown in on
 top of perfect weather, made for a Kingfisher Day!!

Good Birding  !!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.

                       MAP RESOURCES