[tinwhiskers] Re: R: Re: R: Re: R: Re: ACE Develops Lead Tinning Syste m

  • From: "Bob Landman" <rlandman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <salag@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 21:58:26 -0400

Werner,

I very much disagree with your Table 1
http://www.analysistech.com/downloads/SolderJointDesignForReliability.PDF which
states that consumer electronics should have a 1-3 years of service.  Where do
you get this data?  Is it perhaps it's from wishful thinking on the part of the
"consumer' industry?  I can assure you that but for the fact that pure tin
whiskers will most certainly result in failures of consumer equipment after 3
years (or sooner), most consumer equipment would have had a much longer life.
Is this the cloaked dark hand of industry? Is this the smoking gun? Is this the
game that is afoot?  Is the plan to make consumers throw out what they buy in
1-3 years?

I note that the words "tin whiskers" are never mentioned in your paper.  Why is
that?  What good is perfecting solder joint reliability when products fail due
to the absence of lead in the solder and on the parts being soldered?  How
exactly does that magic happen?

Quite frankly, I guess most of us here on this forum are not be surprised at
your figures. We suspected something like this was behind RoHS.

You have confirmed our suspicions; Gabriele is correct.

By the way, how do you then manage to extrapolate ~10 years of service for the
automotive industry?  And 5-10 years for the space industry?  Do you expect
satellites to come crashing down after 5 years?

Do you really expect the auto industry to replate all the tin plated components
they are forced to buy as NASA and the DOD is doing now (expecting by doing so
a far longer life than 5-10 years - Voyager being a prime example)?

Since automotive electronics is ~30% of the cost of the typical automobile
today, what do you estimate that additional cost will be?  You know who will
bear it, don't you? The consumer.  And why, pray tell should they? For the
so-called environment?  Or for the consultants who grow richer off this new
found business?

Bob Landman
H&L Instruments