[tinwhiskers] Re: ACE Develops Lead Tinning Syste m

  • From: Engelmaier@xxxxxxx
  • To: rlandman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, salag@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 22:48:47 EDT

Hi Bob,
You should be venting against the source of the problem; I had nothing to do
with it. In fact, I have been arguing against the Pb-ban longer than anybody
(I started at Oslo at the 1997 ISHM-Nordic) I know of—go to Brussels and make
yourself heard, man. I would love nothing better than for the Pb-ban to be
reversed—so why are you jumping on me? Because I am a consultant trying to help
the industry? Getting rich!?—well that is a crock.

That Table 1 comes straight out of IPC-SM-785 [the reference (10) is given]
and was developed by that committee long before we had even a hit of this
Pb-ban idiocy. It saw some slight modifications over the years, but you will
find
that table in many IPC documents. The years of service are essentially based on
the warranty periods offered by the various consumer product vendors—this may
be sad, but there is nothing sinister here. All you have to look at are the
various class action law suites that exist—against GM (3 year warranty) with
its windshield wiper controls failures [by the way, do you really think GM was
happy to be forced by NHTSA to recall over 4 million high-end SUVs and
trucks?], Sony (1 year warranty) with its Vaio laptop failures, and the list
goes on.

If you would have taken the trouble to find out when that paper was
published, you would have noted that the date was 1995. Nobody talked about tin
whiskers then. Further, tin whiskers, while related to tin, are not really a
solder
joint reliability issue—it is an overall electronic products reliability issue.

"You have confirmed our suspicions; Gabriele is correct."—where the heck are
you coming from ?

"Quite frankly, I guess most of us here on this forum are not be surprised at
your figures. We suspected something like this was behind RoHS."—what the
heck does this mean?

Where do you see me extrapoating in Table 1? First, it is not MY table;
second, on automobiles see above; third, do you know that on the first repair
mission (that is in 1993 after a 1990 launch= 3 years) to the Hubble Telescope
most
of the electronics had to be swappewd out because of solder joint failures?

Unfortuantely, in the end, it is always the consumer that winds up paying for
the mistakes of politicians, bureaucrats, and/or managers.

Not at all understanding where you are coming from,
Werner Engelmaier
Engelmaier Associates, L.C.
Electronic Packaging, Interconnection and Reliability Consulting
7 Jasmine Run
Ormond Beach, FL 32174 USA
Phone: 386-437-8747, Cell: 386-316-5904
E-mail: Engelmaier@xxxxxxx, Website: www.engelmaier.com

Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with
Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
      (http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4?&
NCID=aolfod00030000000002)