[tinwhiskers] Re: R: Re: ACE Develops Lead Tinning System

  • From: "Bob Landman" <rlandman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 13:42:23 -0400

Some here have asked: "have whiskers have grown and caused failures after
"no-lead RoHS" was enacted?"

Let me reverse the question; why do you think the absence of lead (RoHS) in tin
plating has stopped whisker growth?
What would suggest to you that you draw that conclusion?  Has passing that EU
law changed the science?  Has the universe complied with RoHS?

I do not think so.

NASA says that not all whisker-induced failures can be identified. Very few
analysts correctly identify whisker-induced problems. A professional failure
analysis can run between $300 and $3,000 per job. Almost no broken commercial
equipment is ever put through any such analysis; rather, the failed unit is
junked or refurbished without any assignment of the fault. It is
characteristically only equipment used in tasks of high importance that gets
any analytic attention. And, sadly, only a very few analysts are able to
correctly recognize whisker induced problems!
Does commercial-grade equipment have this problem?  It is typically only the
military and space communities that carry out the analysis that is necessary to
locate the source of the damage. And then, only a few of the folks making these
analyses are perceptive as to the real cause. Not all cases of whisker-induced
failures are reported!
NASA has logged, in 5 years, 3 to 5 reports a month of tin whisker infestation
that required urgent help. Note that only a very few have allowed NASA to
document their problems in detail or share results publicly. Fear of lost
sales, warranty claims, punitive damages, injuries, embarrassment and no desire
to share solutions to problems with competitors.
For the last five years or so, NASA is logging from three to five calls a month
from folks who have spoken with them about tin-whisker infestations at their
companies ? infestations so bad that urgent attention was needed and eventually
produced a correct identification, often with our help ? and then these folks
have requested confidentiality. To a good approximation, NO ONE has allowed
NASA to log their problem(s) in an explicit manner. Their reasons are clear
enough: these include fear that sales will drop, and fear of a run of warranty
claims and even claims for damages and injuries, and fear of embarrassment at
being caught in bad practices. So, to protect themselves, they forbid their
problem from being listed. Sometimes, the argument is that: "OK, now we have
learned about this; darned if we will share this learning with our competitors:
let them figure out why this stuff is failing!
It is the "problem of the commons".
There is the story of a room filled with people, and also a dead stinking
horse. Each person has a personal reason for silence, and so no one mentions
the rotting carcass. Thus, the group does not work together to improve the
living conditions, and soon all succumb to the poisonous gases and corruption.
NASA estimate of the problem
?The hundreds of cases we have documented scale to roughly a few million to a
few hundred million cases of whiskering problems over the last fifty years ---
this seems about right to me?, so says Dr. Henning Leidecker at NASA's Goddard
Space Flight Center.  He suspects that about 3% to 30% of electronics systems
that are using pure tin plating are growing whiskers, and that about 0.5% to 5%
of the total are having shorts caused by these whiskers, and that about 0.005%
to 0.5% of the total are having the cause of these shorts correctly identified,
and then about 0.000,01% to 0.01% of the total are being publicly named. He
goes on to say that the hundreds of cases they have documented scale to roughly
a few million to a few hundred million cases of whiskering problems over the
last fifty years; this seems about right to him.
But the public perception is that there are only a few cases, and that these
have happened "to other folks".
Bob Landman
H&L Instruments,LLC