[tinwhiskers] Re: New study on coating to mitigate whiskers

  • From: Steve Smith <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: engelmaier@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 15:19:34 -0700

Nothing grows in a vacuum.

Steve Smith

eac>  How can you study something that is non-existent—"brains of the
eac> EU politicians"? the good news, there is lots of room for growth.

eac> Werner

eac>

eac>

eac> -----Original Message-----
eac> From: Norman Dancer <ndancer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
eac> To: tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
eac> Sent: Fri, 15 May 2009 4:43 pm
eac> Subject: [tinwhiskers] Re: New study on coating to mitigate whiskers

eac>                 Be
eac> sure to test the brains of the EU politicians.  They’ve definitely
eac> got something growing there.  J

eac>

eac>                 (OK,
eac> I’ll behave myself now).

eac>

eac> From:
eac> tinwhiskers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
eac> [mailto:tinwhiskers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
eac> Behalf Of Fritz, Dennis D.

eac> Sent: Friday, May 15, 2009 11:41 AM

eac> To: tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

eac> Subject: [tinwhiskers] Re: New study on coating to mitigate whiskers

eac>

eac> What is your whiskers inspection methodology?

eac>

eac> I
eac> am getting ready to do a study with Purdue undergraduate interns (who work
for
eac> a VERY attractive price for our program).  We will determine
eac> both the extent of whiskers growth on commercial boards - scrap cell
phones and
eac> laptops, and the ease of measurement by "semi-skilled"
eac> operators.  We will be using optical microscope, enhanced di
eac> gital
eac> microscope, and simple SEM.

eac>

eac> Can
eac> you share your proceedures?

eac>

eac> Denny
eac> Fritz

eac> SAIC
eac> - Merrillville, IN

eac>

eac> From: tinwhiskers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf
eac> of Jim Bunn

eac> Sent: Fri 5/15/2009 10:55 AM

eac> To: tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

eac> Subject: [tinwhiskers] Re: New study on coating to mitigate whiskers

eac> I think they are
eac> saying it works if the thickness is at least 2mils. Or maybe that the
coating
eac> is better than nothing.

eac> We have a lot of uncoated stuff out there running a test right now. And
it's
eac> pretty comprensive considering the voltage levels that we are using in the
eac> PCUs. I'm suprised that we have not had some kind of problem.

eac> ________________________________

eac> From: tinwhiskers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Pedro Tort

eac> Sent: Thu 5/14/2009 7:48 AM

eac> To: tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

eac> Subject: [tinwhiskers] New study on coating to mitigate whiskers

eac> The National Physics Laboratory in UK has undertaken a study on the
capability
eac> of different coatings to mitigate tin whiskers growth. The results of this
eac> investigation reinforces the findings of Jay Bruse and Dr. Henning
Leidecker
eac> who back in 2007 found the Uralane 5750 Polyurethane was an effective
eac> mitigation strategy for tin whiskers provided the nominal coating
thickness was
eac> 2mils.

eac> I quote from the first issue of the NPL Electronics Interconne
eac> ction Newsletter:

eac> "The use of conformal coatings is seen as the only practical means of
eac> controlling whisker growths shorting adjacent conductors on a PCB. NPL has
eac> studied three types of coating, to assess their effectiveness for
inhibiting
eac> whisker growth.

eac> Two coatings, polyurethane and paraxylene both were found to reduce the
growth
eac> of whiskers for up to 150 days of testing, compared with failure of 14
days for
eac> uncoated samples. The acrylic coating was found not to perform as well as
the
eac> others in parallel tests. All coatings failed to provide sufficient
protection
eac> in areas of insufficient coating coverage, at corners and sides of the test
eac> samples."

eac> Pedro Tort

eac> Quality Manager

eac> DigiProces, S.A.

eac> Solsones, 87 - P.I. Pla de la Bruguera

eac> P.O. Box 127

eac> E-08211 CASTELLAR DEL VALLES

eac> TEL. +34 937 142 132

eac> FAX. +34 937 142 072

eac> www.digiproces.com

eac> This email and any files contained therein is confidential and may contain
eac> privileged information.  If you are not the named addressee(s) or you have
eac> otherwise received this in error, you should not distribute or copy this
e-mail
eac> or use any of its content for any purpose. Please notify the sender
immediately
eac> by e-mail if you have received this e-mail in error and delete it from your
eac> system

eac>

--
Best regards,