[tinwhiskers] Re: If you thought that RoHS was a one hit wonder, you were sadly mistaken.

  • From: Rod Dalitz <rod.dalitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 21:56:55 +0100

On 3 Sep 2008, at 21:29, Bob Landman wrote:

Interestingly, the criteria of selecting these substances are evocative of REACH not RoHS. The criteria were “substances classified as CMR, PBT / vPvB or endocrine disruptors”,

Now there is a word which stops me in my tracks. I cannot get excited about the dangers of lead in the environment, since my generation grew up with leaded petrol, lead-based paint, I used to hold the tin- lead solder in my mouth since I lacked a third hand when soldering, and so on - I had a test for lead in my system, and it showed nothing.

And yet, based on what I have read, the estrogen-like chemicals (which include plasticizers and are all around us every day) have the potential to destroy our civilisation just as effectively as climate change.

It is hard to guess which substances are truly frightening. That judgment should be based on scientific evidence, and knowledge of the consequences and alternatives, that is the message which this forum returns to.

regards,   Rod

rod.dalitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx