[tinwhiskers] Re: AW: [RoHSUSAPushback] FW: IPC expresses concerns on possible ROHS revisions

  • From: "Bob Landman" <rlandman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <RoHSUSAPushback@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <klaus-reindl@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Henning Leidecker'" <henning.w.leidecker@xxxxxxxx>, "'Brusse, Jay A. \(GSFC-560.0\)[QSS]'" <jay.a.brusse@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 12:56:01 -0400

Dear Klaus,

Thank you for your kind comments.  I noted that you said that

"the bulk of the transition to Pb-free is or will be done. So far, we have not
heard of an unexpected catastrophe?"

I would remind everyone that there have been some well documented failures,
including at nuclear power plants.  See
http://nepp.nasa.gov/WHISKER/failures/index.htm and this website is always
being updated with new facts of failures.

The problem is that NASA knows of many failures but are not permitted to share
them all as the manufacturers and military/aerospace agencies who come to them
for help and failure analysis, forbid them to disclose the problems.

What manufacturer wants to wash it's dirty laundry in public?

So, how will we know of these failures?  Will Sony and Toshiba and Philips and
Siemens tell us?  Or will the products that fail, fail intermittantly, fail and
be thrown away in some landfill (not recycled)? Isn't this more likely to
happen since we have had failures and there is no lead free solder that
prohibits whiskers (and yes, even lead solders have very tiny (5 micron
gnarly)whiskers, I know that).

So, how many failures does it take to convince the EU they have made a terrible
mistake?

Inquiring minds would certainly like to know where that trip point is! 100?
1000? 10,000?  A million? Do they care at all?

Bob Landman, President
Senior Member, IEEE PES
H&L Instruments, LLC
34 Post Road, PO Box 580