[thunder] Re: New member introduction.

  • From: "Roger Wilson-Hinds" <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thunder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:51:50 -0000

Hello, All.

Let me introduce myself to all - I am Serge Tumanyan a blind developer who
likes to develop something. I have several questions on the Thunder
screenreader and the list.

Good evening Serge and everyone,

It looks like I am the guilty party here so here goes with some  responses.

1. Is this list alive - I have not seen any postings for several months?
Yes, the list is very alive but has been sleeping.

2. Does some one of the members still use Thunder?
Yes, over 100,000 people have downloaded Thunder and I am in touch with many
from all over the world.

3. Are there anyone who knows where to get the description of the Thunder
scripting language? I have wrote to the Ask@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx but with no
result. I saw that the scripting is VB based but would like to know more
details.
I have a couple of files which will enable you and others to take a close
look at the VB scripting language and, who knows, come up with some good
results. The files are attached.

4. Is there still any internal development of Thunder?
Yes and a new version with some bug fixes and a safe off screen model will
launch soon from www.screenreader.net.

5. If not may be it would be a good idea to make Thunder an open-source?
The Thunder engine is private property but the scripts are already open
source and it is the scripts that matter. The Thunder engine is used in
commercial software elsewhere.

And the last one - does anyone hear me here?
Yes, Serge, loud and clear with Thunder.

And now for an explanation:
I at ask@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx did get your email, Serge, and I tried to reply
about five times and it always bounced. Now apparently the server you use
was implicated in blacklisting our server run by Granite5 here in the UK. So
my emails were disrupted until the matter was sorted and I apologise totally
for thinking bad thoughts about you. Not your fault at all. We want you on
board and others too.

Lastly, I am not a techy person but a real user. The thing just has to work
for me. I love listening to music, emailing, blogging, looking up
information on the web and writing generally. The technology is just a means
to do it all. So I don't bother with lists and techy talk unless I have to.
Most of our customers are the same.

NVDA is also a free screenreader and it seems pretty good and is admired by
techy people. But Thunder just works well with MS Word, the web using WebbIE
the text browser and Outlook Express or Windows Mail as well as a growing
number of other  of other applications.

So, please, those of you who love lists and tech talk, come on board and
fill the ether. If you want to develop Thunder, great. If you want to help
ordinary users get the best out of it and sort their problems, even better.
And if you want to script to improve Thunder, that is wonderful.

So good wishes, Serge and everyone and I hope the Thunder list now goes from
strength to strength.

Roger.

Roger Wilson-Hinds
Director
Screenreader.net CIC
7 The Rookery
Orton Wistow
Peterborough
PE2 6YT
Tel 01733 234441
Let me introduce myself to all - I am Serge Tumanyan a blind developer who
likes to develop something. I have several questions on the Thunder
screenreader and the list.
1. Is this list alive - I have not seen any postings for several months?
2. Does some one of the members still use Thunder?
3. Are there anyone who knows where to get the description of the Thunder
scripting language? I have wrote to the Ask@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx but with no
result. I saw that the scripting is VB based but would like to know more
details.
4. Is there still any internal development of Thunder?
5. If not may be it would be a good idea to make Thunder an open-source?

And the last one - does anyone hear me here?

Thank you.

With best regards,
Serge Tumanyan.

--
Thunder Screen Reader e-mail list.
To find out more about Thunder Screen Reader:-

database 3954 (20090323) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 3962 (20090325) __________

http://www.eset.com