[THIN] Re: worst case scenario

  • From: Kevin Stewart <kevin.g.stewart@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 16:41:09 -0400

While I haven't seen any *external* exploits, I have seen a few
vulnerabilities:

I worked with an agency once that was using SSL Relay directly to their
servers. Surprisingly I found out this is pretty common. The problem is that
the user's credentials are in the ICA file, and only weakly encrypted.

Check out: http://www.securiteam.com/securitynews/5XQ0H000CK.html

SSL obviously mitigates a lot of the external threat, but with other means
to procure the user's ICA file, this seemed like a significant
vulnerability.

Web Interface at one time or another was also vulnerable to XSS:
http://www.iss.net/security_center/reference/vuln/HTTP_Nfuse_Script.htm. And
interestingly, because you can launch applications from the URL (*
launch.aspx?Application=Citrix.MPS.App.Farm1.Adobe+Acrobat+Professional*),
there's another XSS potential if the Web Interface is used in a non-standard
way.

As I stated in another post, the key (I believe) to true Citrix security is
the short-lived STA ticket. It isn't 100% safe, but the window of
opportunity is incredibly small.

I think the real security issues for Citrix come from the inside. You can
put as many walls around your castle as you want, but once you let someone
in, and you have to, there's Windows...

Kevin

--
Kevin G. Stewart