[THIN] what happens to licenses during chfarm

  • From: "Arthur Reyes" <artadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:59:37 -0500

Repost: (now that we're not OT)

Ok, I have a requirement to upgrade a farm from 1.8 to XPe but also change
the farm name.  The existing farm has been in existence since Winframe, and
there are a LOT of licenses (get my drift?).  The current servers are a
mess.  The farm name needs to be changed for political reasons.  I have a
solution in mind, which calls for upgrading the exiting servers and slapping
on the migration licenses.  But what will happen to the licenses if I run
chfarm?  I've read that licenses will migrate.  <Please confirm>.  If this
is true, do I need to explicitly assign licenses to a server before I run
chfarm?  Can someone give me an illustrative scenario?

If licenses do migrate this will save me a ton of time.  I'll be able to
upgrade a server, migrate the licenses, chfarm to the new farm name, do
fresh installs of old servers into the new farm, and down the last legacy
server.