[THIN] Re: vmware

  • From: "Chris Lynch" <lynch00@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:59:25 -0800

This discussion has come up before.  Mainly with Vmware ESX 2.0.  The only
limitations you would really have is the amount of VM's you want within the
host.  In your case, the 6650's are more than enough hardware.

Think of Vmware as a software-based server blade.  You can allocate system
resources to a group of VM's or individual VM's based on need (CPU %, RAM,
Disk I/O, etc).  You can also manage all of the VM's from one central
location; VirtualCenter is the product.

I don't know of too many limitations with Vmware, other than the hardware
requirements (certain MB chipsets, NIC chipsets, SCSI adapters, RAID cards,
etc.)

I can tell you that Citrix has done quite a few tests with Vmware ESX.  One
test that I know about is that they had an EMC SAN with two host machines.
On one host machine they had MF XP with FR3.  They had a client machine
connect to it and begin a session.  While the session was running, they used
VirtualCenter to move the VM from one host to another host.  The transfer of
the VM DID NOT drop the connection back to the client.  Imagine what that
could do for DR.

BTW, I have tested both Vmware ESX 2.x and Microsoft Virtual Server, and
MS's product does not even come close to what you get with ESX.

Chris