[THIN] samba as DC in a TS setup.

  • From: richard van beers <richard.van.beers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:18:31 +0200

Hi list,

no question just a little story:

I succcesfully setup a Debian Sarge SAMBA DC/File/Print server, for
use with a 2003 Terminal Server, 20 Thin Clients (Axels, lean but
mean) and about 20 PC's.

We first setup the DC on Debian to save cost, customer already had
exp. with Debian so it was a logical extention. After that we extended
with a TS and thin clients.

I have working: domain joining without server intervention (usual way,
administrator password needed, but no arcane SAMBA commands) profiles,
login scripts, autocreated home shares, group shares, protected file
areas. (I use standard unix perms, but ACL is supported)  Local
policies, but obviously no GP (yet, SAMBA may catch up there too)

All accounts are served by SAMBA, all security is handled by Samba,
the SAMBA users can be added to the local groups on the Terminal
Server. I havent been able to "see" SAMBA groups on the local TS
groups, but it may still be possible. There is lots you can do with
"Everyone" or "Auth users". Webmin is a great tool, in the SAMBA combo
you create unix users, and the SAMBA users are basically created too,
synching is automatic through webmin both ways.

Same caveats: I think you should not try multiple high load TS's to
connect to SAMBA, it may scale badly.

But this little setup works like a charm.

Gr Richard
This Weeks Sponsor: triCerat Inc.
You need Day Zero Protection!
Get Proactive with triCerat's Simplify Suite.
Solve printing, security and profile problems before they occur.
http://www.tricerat.com/?thethintl2