[THIN] re Re: Advantages of single over dual processors

  • From: "SteveC" <stevec@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 23:05:58 -0500

PeopleSoft used to have a Metaframe scale metric out there, but I can't
remember the exact URI.  Hey, I almost don't remember what PeopleSoft *is*.
:)

In my experience you can expect somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-25 users
per CPU with a modern app; more users with a very modern and properly
threaded app, and less with something else.  So you can make a
generalization by saying that a single-CPU box might cost $4000 for ~20
users but a dual might cost $4600 for ~35-45 users (there is some economy of
scale with multiple CPUs because the OS will work less per CPU and look
smoother for more users overall).  However, if your single box goes down
completely, then you will have more angry users.....  It might be better to
get two lower-scale boxes if you have real uptime needs - instead of a dual
1GHz vs single 2.2GHz, do two 800MHz with RAM and load-balance them at the
network switch or web server (if you use the Java Client).