[THIN] Re: conditional setting for home drive

  • From: "Rick Mack" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:25:48 +1000

Hi Pavlo,

Sounds a bit like the LBS (location based security) telnet product that
Queensland Health used to use (called Hibiscus). It either required  a unique
IP address or IP/port address combination for every user.

On the unix side, lbs was handled by appropriate entries in /etc/services and
/etc/inetd.conf together with a perl script to generate a unique plid (physical
location id).

This required some way (we used a user/port lookup table (kix and ini file) to
assign a unique port address to a user on a TS system.

In your case, sounds like remote.cmd does it, but it can't handle UNC paths.
Note that the script is most likely being run by a macro in Accuterm 97 so
looking at the Accuterm setup may solve things.

While I'd be tempted to have a look at the total process and try and make
things a bit slicker, an easy approach would be to use the subst command during
login to substitute a drive letter for the UNC path, eg

subst p: '\\profile_server\profile_share\username'

Since applications see a substituted drive as a "real" local drive, things then
should work as advertised.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack