[THIN] Re: conditional setting for home drive

  • From: "Pavlo Ignatusha" <pignatusha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:14:02 -0400

Rick,

This is what I found.

This software in unix database ported to Windows. It is running it's own
telnet server (telnetd). Currently it is installed on W2K server box. Users
launch telnet client (Accuterm 97) from Citrix and establish telnet session
with this server. Because each user uses unique port range every user has to
have a unique remote.cmd script put into his/her homedrive. This script
contains user port range and other software-specific things. So far when
things were implemented consultants set all these user accounts to have
local homedrive mapped in AD to d:\users\username. This way on this w2k
server there is a d:\users folder that has subfilder for each user that
contain only remote.cmd.

If I try to point user's home drive to network share in AD I get this error
upon logging into the telnet session:

jBase Telnetd server Version 3.6.8
NT User ID: USERNAME
Password:
CMD.EXE was started with '\\profile_server\profile_share\username' as the
current directory path.
UNC paths are not supported.
Defaulting to windows directory.
Microsoft Windows 2000 bla-bla-bla

I'm not that experienced with telnet servers but it looks like it is
hardcoded in the server to look for a remote.cmd file in users home folder.
If there is no folder it defaults to %systmroot% and looks for the same
file. If I place my remote.cmd in the %systemroot% and have home drive still
mapped to the network share everything works fine.

I guess it means I may have to set homedrive in AD to d:\users\%username%
for this telnet to work and for all TS sessions overwrite it in logon script
with smth like this:

net use u: \\profile_server\profile_share\username
set home=U
set homepath='\\profile_server\profile_share\%username%

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Pavlo Ignatusha
Systems Network Coordinator
Pembroke General Hospital
Tel. (613) 732-3675 ext.6150
Fax. (613) 732-9986
www.pemgenhos.org

"All that matters is love and work" - Sigmund Freud.