[THIN] Re: blades & vmware

  • From: "Joel Stolk" <JStolk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:53:14 -0500

David,

We're testing this solution right now with HS20s.  The ESX overhead is
very small.  About 4 GB of drive space with 192 MB RAM for the ESX host
OS.  After that, I would just scale it like a regular Citrix server.  I
would say you could get about 4 virtual servers per blade running dual
CPU and 4 GB RAM per HS20.  That would reserve a GB of RAM per virtual
machine.  You can probably get about 25-30 average users per virtual
server with that configuration, so 100-120 users per blade.  These are
just estimates.  I can post again when we have some hard numbers.  On
non-VM blades we can get about 80-100 users per blade with 4 GB of RAM,
but a lot of disk space goes unused, and the CPUs don't ever get maxed
out.  To me the VMware setup is a better solution because more
servers=more availability and more separation of applications (if you
have a lot of rogue apps).  Plus you're maximizing your drive space that
would otherwise go unused.  A blade/SAN solution would probably be the
best configuration, since ESX server is SAN aware.  We will be testing
this configuration as well.

Joel W. Stolk
Operations Engineer
Trammell Crow Company