[THIN] Re: Yet Another Anti Virus On Citrix Question (hopeful ly with a twist)

  • From: <DOUG.WOOTEN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 07:53:38 -0000

Hi

In the case I was mentioning, it was configured correctly, including not
scanning mdb files and other settings suggested by Trend.  Trend
obviously works and does work in TS environments so my comments should
not be taken as the failures we saw would affect everyone.  However, we
found in our environment something similar to what you are saying
Michael, it was almost like the environment was too fat...

It was not a clash with citrix or in my case terminal servers, it was
simply an issue with the operating system not handling the users and the
software.

As another side point, the way we investigated this issue further was to
use perfmon watching a server. I would be interested to know if you see
the below:

If you watch the counters Objects -> Threads and Process -> Thread
Count, you will notice over (for us a few hours) these counters start to
differ quite substantially and one of them doesn't come down until you
reboot. Without antivirus installed this did not happen.  From what I
could gather (and please no flames as I know I could have misunderstood
their meaning), one is a count of all known owned threads and the other
is just all known threads (although trying to find real information on
what counters mean can be difficult). It was almost like something was
leaking threads.

Good luck in your choice, it all comes down to specific environment
settings in the end, this is just my 2c (or by now $2) worth. :-)