[THIN] XenDesktop 5.x Documentation Script (Code Complete)

  • From: Webster <webster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ntsysadm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ntsysadm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "powershell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <powershell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Citrix CTP List <CCTP-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 01:25:41 +0000

After 23 months of effort, I have finally completed the XenDesktop 5.x
documentation script.  I could use more testers if you are interested.  Please
email me OFF LIST.

This is the largest PowerShell script I have ever done at 11,122 lines.  There
is a boatload of crap to document in XenDesktop.

The script documents every nook and cranny of Studio that I can find to
document.

Machine Catalogs
Details for every machine in every catalog (optional)
Desktop (Delivery) Groups
Details for every machine in every group (optional)
Applications
Details for every application (optional)
HDX Policies
Details for every Site and AD based Citrix policy (optional)
All Site configuration information
Administrators
Controllers
Hosting
Basic details for all machines associated with a hosting connection (optional)
Licensing

The reason it took 23 months was that the crap that Citrix calls "PowerShell"
is, well, crap.  Whoever did the XenDesktop 5.x PowerShell cmdlets should crawl
on their hands and knees to Redmond and beg Jeffrey Snover, Lee Holmes and the
rest of the Microsoft PowerShell team for forgiveness.

How to determine machine catalog types is not documented by Citrix.
How to determine the desktop group type is not documented by Citrix.
How to retrieve details for applications is not documented by Citrix.
How to use the Citrix group policy module with XenDesktop is not documented by
Citrix.
How to determine administrator types is not documented by Citrix.
How to get host connection information is not documented by Citrix.

For someone who is not a developer, it took me a while to reverse engineer how
to retrieve all this data.  And add to that that Citrix rarely answers my
emails asking for more information even though I am one of their CTPs.

If you run the report with every optional parameter for all possible details,
the script will take an enormous amount of time to run and generate an
extremely lengthy report. I recommend you run the script under PowerShell V5.

This is the first script publicly released that generates Word, PDF, formatted
text and HTML output.  If you use formatted text or HTML output, Word is not
required.  PowerShell V3 or later is required.

If you would like to help test the script before it is publically released on
March 2nd, please email me off list.  I can always use more testers.

FYI, the XenDesktop 7.x script should follow fairly closely.

Thanks

Carl Webster
Citrix Technology Professional
http://www.CarlWebster.com<http://www.carlwebster.com/>