[THIN] XP network printer autocreate issues...

  • From: Mike Munford <MMunford@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:16:21 -0400

I am in the process of finishing up a New Metaframe XP server
installation and have run into a strange printer issue...

The Server is configured with W2K-SP2, Metaframe XPa SP2-FR2 as a member
server in a W2k AD Domain. Within CMC, I have imported network printers
from the network Print Server.

When an ICA client logs into the server (via desktop or published app),
local non-network printers are autocreated within the session.
Local-network printers are not autocreated though. The imported printers
are available at this point. The problem that this causes is that if the
Client has a local network printer set as a default, and that printer is
not autocreated then they get another printer (one of the imported
printers) randomly selected as default, which is invariably not the
closest printer. The other issue is that the remote sites are going to
need to rely on the autocreation process to select their default
peer-shared printers in their locations.

Here's the kicker.... I created a local account on the Citrix server and
logged in using those credentials and all of the local and local-network
printers autocreated, but the imported printers did not show up!!!
Logging into the domain, the local-network printers do not autocreate,
but the imported printers do. If I run through the 'Add Printer' wizard,
I can browse the 'Client' network and see a listing of ALL of the client
printers including the problematic ones. If I complete the wizard by
selecting one of these printers, that printer works fine... At this
point, I thought it may have been a GPO issue, and disabled the
associated GPO for the Citrix server, but still no dice... No
local-network printers autocreated!!

I've checked permissions on the Spool folders on the Citrix server and
print server, they look good. I have checked and re-checked every
printer related setting I can think of. I've got Printer Management set
to create all local printers.. and I have most of these drivers (native
HP) installed on the Citrix server.

I'm about out of ideas.....

Michael Munford
mmunford@xxxxxxxxxx