[THIN] Re: XP embedded Thin-Client devices

  • From: "John A. Vorchak" <jvorchak@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 16:53:01 -0500

That really depends somewhat on the manufacturer and how they have built
the OS.  Typically, the answer is a resounding affirmative and I have
not seen any XPE thin clients to date without this ability.  And most of
the manufacturers will either supply you with a management system (or
sell you one) that can handle software distribution to the devices after
you create the first modification.

It typically is not a problem with actually being able to install
applications necessarily to the system but rather it is a problem of
system components or files that are not present since the system is
stripped down and it is absolutely a function of available free space
(make certain that you get more than you think you need - the added
price is well worth it).  As a for instance, some applications will
require serviceA to be installed and the components registered in order
to work, but these are not on the system.  So, the component must be
installed and registered, if needed, first and then the application can
be added.  Now the nice thing is that the manufacturer should be
knowledgeable enough and quick enough to respond so that when you tell
them that you need the Cisco VPN client, they will build a custom image
for you that will include all of the components necessary and probably
your target software.  That holds good during implementation, and
afterwards they should work with you to provide the components as your
network matures and migrates as you may need to add more to it.

The only real thing that is avoided with XPE are "office productivity
applications," such as Word, Outlook, etc. -- all of which should
absolutely not be at the desktop anyway, I have installed literally an
incredible range of applications at the local level with no problems at
all - everything from 8-bit DOS crap on up.

Hope this helps.

John

John A. Vorchak (eMVP)
Vorchak Software
Custom Windows XP Embedded and
Windows NT Embedded Components and Solutions
jvorchak@xxxxxxxx