[THIN] Re: Windows 2000 and MetaFrame XPe FR3 - Are you on SP3 or SP4 for W2k?

  • From: "ThinFan ." <thinfan1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:29:19 -0700

Thanks for your input. Are you saying that MFXP Servers that are on SP3 and then bumped to SP4 will be more probelmatic then? As you said as long as you apply MFXP SP3 AFTER SP4.

The HotFixes that I have been applying Post SP3 are a short list but slightly longer than the Post SP4 List you deploy. For those interested here is what I apply. I have to actually clean up the list a bit as two of the Q Articles below actually install the same files, and 1 is actually deployed through Windows Update and does not need to be 'redeployed'. I basically just need to clean up my VBS Script that I use to apply MF and MS Hotfixes.

Q304229 16-Bit OLE Servers Started from 16-Bit Programs Create Extra VDMs in Terminal Server Sessions

Q323255 MS02-055: Unchecked Buffer in Windows Help Facility May Allow Attacker to Run Code

Q326800 Some Windows 2000 Kernel Hotfixes May Cause a Conflict with SP3 for Windows 2000: 2 of 2

Q328020 Redirected printing through a Terminal Services session may not work with Windows 2000 SP3

Q331627 Terminal Services Client Cannot Obtain Terminal Services User Configuration from Domain Controller During Logon

Q813130 A Computer May Lose Network Connectivity Under High Stress

Q816560 You Cannot Save Printing Preferences

Q818523 Dr. Watson Error Occurs When You Run a Program That Uses Utildll.dll

Q818528 Problems When More Than One User Accesses the Same File Through Terminal Services

Q821225 A Windows 2000 Terminal Server That Is Configured with Citrix Metaframe Software Can Become Slow and Unresponsive

Q822428 Characters Are Dropped or Lost in Notepad When You Use a Swipe Card Reader or a Keyboard in Windows 2000

Q822834 Spooler Failure Causes High CPU Usage in the Winlogon.exe and Spoolsv.exe Processes on a Windows 2000 Terminal Server

Q824146 MS03-039: A buffer overrun in RPCSS could allow an attacker to run malicious programs

Q825027 Terminal Services Licensing Denies Your Connection to Your Terminal Server from Your WBT Device

From: "Brian Madden" <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [THIN] Re: Windows 2000 and MetaFrame XPe FR3 - Are you on SP3 or SP4 for W2k?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:46:32 -0400

Hi..

As long as you apply MFXP SP3 after SP4, you should be okay.

That being said, I use the following post SP4 hotfixes everywhere:

MS03-023\KB823559
MS03-039\KB824146
MS03-041\KB823182
MS03-042\KB826232
MS03-043\KB828035
MS03-049\KB828749
MS04-007\KB828028

Brian

Brian Madden
brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
+1.202.302.3657
Visit www.brianmadden.com for in-depth Citrix, Terminal Server, and
server-based computing news and analysis, white papers, downloadable
videos, product reviews, and technical support forums.