[THIN] Weird non-admin DNS problem

  • From: "Tom Erdely" <tom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 13:39:53 +0200

We have a Windows 2000 SP2 terminal server with a strange problem.  It is the
primary domain controller for this domain (previous support company's decision)
with MF XP 1.0.  The server crashed the other day and the only way we could get
in was by doing a Windows 2000 repair.  Afterwards, we reinstalled SP2.

Everything seems fine, except non-admin users cannot resolve DNS requests.  We
have checked that their DNS settings are the same as admin users (I don't see
how they could have been different), but they are the same.  When trying to
resolve names by ping or through IE, they do not resolve.  When doing nslookup
using the same DNS servers, requests are resolved.  We have disabled all
policies on this server and verified proxy (or lack there of) settings.  As
soon as we add a user to the admin group, they can resolve names.  We have also
tried changing to "real world" DNS to verify that DNS permissions were not the
problem, and it still doesn't work for non-admins.  Any suggestions?  We have
reinstall IE, tried upgrading to IE 6 SP1, reinstalled SP2, tried upgrading to
SP3 all to no avail.

Please help!!!

Tom Erdely
http://tom.erdely.no