[THIN] Re: Very slow data transfer XP FR3 on W2003

  • From: "Rick Mack" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 07:36:51 +1000

Hi Kevin,

When you see that sort of speed difference, it's almost always a
port/NIC settings mismatch.

Had an issue with a Dell File server recently where the behaviour was
exactly as you're seeing. The server had Broadcom gigabit NICs, was
originally plugged in to a 100 MB port and ran fine until we discovered
it wasn't running gigabit. When the data centre people moved the
connection to a gigabit port, things went bad.

The basic issue was that autonegotation was failing. So one end (the
server) was running full duplex (as configured), and the other (switch
port) was running half duplex. This caused a terrific number of
retransmissions in one direction only, so data transfers were okay in
one direction, but not the other.

Don't waste your time if the replacement NIC uses the same drivers. Just
make sure the switch port is hard coded to full duplex.

Regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
Volante Systems