[THIN] Re: Very slow data transfer XP FR3 on W2003

  • From: "Dirk Blose" <Dirk.Blose@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 10:33:07 -0500

If you are not hard coding the Switch, which means they are Auto-Negotiating,
then you should leave the Servers Nic's at Auto to get best negotiation. I've
run into the same problem many times, both sides of the connection shoudl be
set the same if auto on one side then auto on the other.

Dirk Blose, MCSE, CCA
Lead Technical Analyst
(919) 765-4791
dirk.blose@xxxxxxxxxx

>>> KHopley@xxxxxxxxxxx 12/03/04 10:20AM >>>

Gave it a go and got in touch with Microsoft about the hotfix mentioned in the
article aswell. They were very helpful and also suggested another hotfix which
replaces the mrxsmb.sys and rdbss.sys files for updated versions.

The mrxsmb.sys/rdbss.sys update provided a minimal improvement.

I have checked DNS and disabled the anitvirus - again no imrpovement.

I have messed around with the speed/duplex on the NIC and found that even hard
setting to 100/half gives about the same performance. Setting to 100/full clows
it down even more. I do not have managed switches so I reckon the next step is
to swap out the NIC and use a different switch.

But the thing that still confuses me is that for my test data:
data server to citrix server - 15 seconds,
citrix server to data server - 5 mintues

Thanks for the answers

Kev