[THIN] UPS question

  • From: "Steve Parr" <sparr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 13:25:12 +0000 GMT

Here is an offbeat type question - what do you think?

I have seen many server racks   where a larger UPS such as an APC 3OOO gets
racked at bottom and rack has an inbuilt power bar/strip into which all the
servers get plugged. So the power bar is the only one which directly plugs into
the UPS.

In my opinion this is not ideal but please educate me if I am wrong. My
reasons/assumptions are as follows:
1) The one resceptacle used on the UPS can't possibly supply more than 3O amps
of power at any one time so if you have 5 or 6 servers drawing maximum power at
the same time via the power strip they must share the 3O amp power stream - if
each plugged into the UPS directly they would each have direct access to 3O
amps if ever required. 6 servers all drawing maximum power at same time does
not seem good. I have seen this set up in past and swear I could hear servers
“squealing” under the stress.
2) If the power bar/ strip ever gets accidentally shut off or malfunctions you
just lost all redundancy you would have had if the servers were all plugged
directly into the UPS.
3)When I questioned APC a few years ago they said that any server that plugs
into any kind of power bar/strip which in turn is plugged into their UPS would
lose the 15Ok warranty from APC on any damaged equipment as they do not
guarantee anything unless directly plugged into the UPS.
The reasons given by the Tech rep were along same reasoning given above in 1)
or 2). I agree with this but other IT employees at my company do not see what I
would take to be common sense. However maybe the more advanced power strips can
pull more power from the UPS though I don't see how this is possible if each
APC resceptacle is rated for 30 amps max.

 BIæ«rš¥¦â–+bzÈm¶ŸÿÃ-†)ðŠHœ¢ah¬
܆+޲ڞ˛±Êâmä®nÇ+‰·¨®Ç­(²Ú+U§¶*'š‡^ºÇ­…æÞ–Œ%Šy!¶ÚþØbžw­ýÈ­®,eŠË\~