[THIN] UPDATE: Re: VB app on Win 2k3: fonts look different?

  • From: "Landin, Mark" <Mark.Landin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:31:49 -0500

I originally asked:

Later, I wrote:

> The field labels themselves are "scrunched up". The field
> themselves have also all shifted to the left, so that the
> right side of the screen is pretty empty (it's a form we run
> full-screen ... It's pretty busy).
> In a couple of cases, the fields actually run up against long
> field labels so the labels appear truncated. Text INSIDE the
> fields themselves appear to be OK.
> I think what I'm going to do is to put the
> Win2K Sans Serif font on the
> 2k3 box (it's still in testing mode, so if I break something
> I can always roll back to a previous ghost) and see if that
> resolves the problem.

I wasn't able to change the font out (wouldn't let me delete the Sans
Serif on the Windows 2003 .. Something had it open), but I did try
another thing.

I'm an idiot so I didn't test this before, but: when the app is run from
the console of the Terminal Server, it appears FINE. If the app is run
from an ICA client as a desktop or as a published app, it's screwed up.
AND, if it's run over an RDP desktop it is STILL screwed up (somehow, I
thought it would work over RDP, making this an ICA-specific issue).

Now then: I'm running MPS 3.0 on Windows 2003, using the ICA 8.00.24737
client. The application is a VB6 app, launched from a Microsoft Great
Plains 7.5 sessions.

This app looks fine using this ICA client when presented from a Windows
2000/Metaframe XP system, but looks bad when presented from a Windows
2003/MPS 3.0 system.

Any ideas? Anyone? Anyone?
This Weeks Sponsor triCerat:
Have you had your fill of printing support calls, unauthorized apps running on
unsecured Terminal Servers, profile headaches, and application performance
problems? Join us and learn how you can have a less demanding on-demand
enterprise!
http://www.tricerat.com/?page=events#register