[THIN] Thin Print Vs Provision Vs Universal Vs Windows 2008

  • From: James Scanlon <scanjam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 15:25:35 +1000

Greetings List Legends!

If anyone of you list citrix / thin legends have any suggestions, thoughts,
ideas, I need to advise on the next best step forward for "printing" for our
thin environment.

I have found ThinPrint to be exceptionally inflexible and expensive though I am
uncertain of the alternatives. Really this product was purchased to get the
drivers off the Citrix servers  (but lumping all the drivers onto 1 thinprint
server seems just as stupid to me)

Do we keep Thin Print and Upgrade to a better version (current 7.0.619.5)

Do we look to another product (provision networks or something else)

Do we look to upgrade to Windows Server 2008 and use some of the newer printing
features with no other 3rd party software? (XPSDrv or whatever it is)

We have a number of Konica MFD Devices to be 'migrated' which may or may not
support universal printing (due to the extra features, stapling, trays etc) Do
we force the rule of "Universal Driver Only"? and what do we do for the
printers that don't work? native drivers?

What do we do about redundancy for print services for citrix users?

We will be using a brand new XenApp 5 Farm
All this has come up because we are looking to migrate 150 Printers and around
5000 users and I want to make sure we have the best solution in place for
printing moving forward for the next 2-3 years min...

My thanks and regards to anyone who takes the time to reply, and apologies for
the long email!
Best Wishes

James
View photos of singles in your area. Click Here
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fdating%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fchannel%2Findex%2Easpx%3Ftrackingid%3D1046247&_t=773166080&_r=Hotmail_Endtext&_m=EXT