[THIN] Re: Symantec/Norton Antivrus 8.0

  • From: "Nail, Larry" <lnail@xxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 12:45:14 -0600

Evan,

When NAV works, it works.  When it breaks, it's a pain.  In small
environments, I would say this isn't too much of a problem, but as you start
scaling up (lets say more than a few hundred clients), it starts to become a
problem.  The biggest problem we have is that the damn thing doesn't do a
good job of uninstalling prior versions or even itself.  I had to write a
script that guts NAV & at 418 major registry keys, it took quite a bit of
time.  Then add in the problems of LiveUpdate, conflicts with other Symantec
products when you upgrade those, SYMEVENT problems, & the fact that it
frequently breaks CD writer software.... You get the picture.

With Terminal Server tho, there are a few limitations that you should look
into (REF:  Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.6 and Terminal Server
support -
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2001092012091148
).  I would also seriously look at the amount of memory & CPU that NAV uses
too.  It's a pig.

BTW, due to the size of our NAV deployment, I pretty much know NAV
inside-out.  I probably don't like it very much right now because we had to
upgrade all our NAV5 clients to 7.61 because Symantec doesn't write
signature files for it anymore (as of Nov 1).