[THIN] Strange Roaming Profile Problem

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:15:02 -0500

I am having a strange roaming profile problem, and I bet someone else has
had it before...

I have my users set up with Roaming Profiles on my Windows 2000 Terminal
Servers (no MF at all).  I have the Group Policy set to delete local cached
copy of the Roaming Profile.

Every time I reboot my servers, my users seem to get portions of their
roaming profiles, but not other parts.  For example:

  * Each user will get their desktop contents and start menu contents, but
when they load an office application for the first time, they are prompted
for  their initials and name.
  * Often times, their "My Documents" redirection, which I do via a reg
change at logon (because of the 2 or 3 old 98 machines on my network, and a
common logon script) does not work either.
  * sometimes a user who uses the Office Shortcut bar will get the a
"Desktop" or "Quicklinks" shortcut bar instead of the normal "Office" one.
"Office" does not even show up in the list of possible toolbars.  If I exit
the toolbar and re-start it, the office toolbar will be available again, but
I need to uncheck the "Quicklink" bar first.

But, if they log off, and then log back on, these settings do persist.  It
only happens the first time each user logs on after a reboot.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I am thinking that my first attempt will be to
use Folder Redirection in GPO for the My Documents and such, but that
doesn't seem like it would fix all the problems...

Oh, and it has been this way for the lifetime of my servers.  So it's not a
recent thing, but the increased number of MS hot fixes available has
exacerbated the situation.

Stumped,

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.
Add users now! - not more servers. If you?re using Citrix,
http://www.rtosoft.com/Enter.asp?ID=79