[THIN] Re: Sort of OT - Excel 2003 locks up on MHT (web archive) files

  • From: "Rick Mack" <ulrich.mack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 05:52:01 +1000

Hi Matt,

It'd help to know what error the users were getting when they tried to open
the files, and in what scenario, eg web application, cognos etc

A terminal services environment is by default more locked down than Windows
XP so using the same GPO won't necessarily prove anything.

But in the case of .mht files, it could be as simple as a missing file
association.

If we look at the file association for .mht it's obvious that on a standard
TS server, the .mht file type is associated with IE.

C:\>*assoc .mht
*.mht=mhtmlfile

C:\>*ftype mhtmlfile*
mhtmlfile="C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome

Repeat the two commands on your XP workstation to see if it has the same
file association. I wouldn't be surprised to find it associated with excel
instead. In that case, try running the following commands on a test server.

*assoc .mht=mthfile*

*assoc mhtlfile="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\excel.exe" "%1"*

Also note that you'll need Office 2003 or later to open .mht files
successfully with excel.

regards,

Rick

--