[THIN] Re: Server Specs

  • From: Martin Stephenson <martin.stephenson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:52:12 +1000

Hi Keith,
If your not totally committed to Dell you may want to consider a server
which has Dual-Core AMD 64 bit CPU's. From a quick search I discovered that
Sun now sell a 1U server based on a pair of these CPU's, its the Sun Fire
V20z (

http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/v20z/index.jsp).

 While most people are not rushing into 64 bit Windows you may find that you
want to install a 64 bit O/S on these servers at a later date, in the
meantime you will get the performance benefit of Dual-core architecture.

 As a bit of background info you may want to read the Whitepaper recently
put out by Citrix on x64 Windows -

http://support.citrix.com/kb/entry!default.jspa?categoryID=924&externalID=CTX107341&fromSearchPage=true

 Cheers,

Martin.