[THIN] Re: SQL licensing for Data Store

  • From: "Hamilton, Ronnie" <ronnie.hamilton@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 09:54:16 -0000

thanks Andrew,

I was afraid of that.

________________________________

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Andrew Wood
Sent: 05 January 2011 22:27
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: SQL licensing for Data Store

Citrix's method of accessing the datastore is classed by Microsoft as
"middleware" for users iirc. So, you can either .. license per processor
(Under this model, a license is required for each physical or virtual
processor that is accessed by an operating system environment running
SQL Server software. This license does not require any user licenses
(CALs); or get a server license + a user cal for each citrix user (Under
this model, a server license is required for each operating system
environment running an instance of SQL Server software, as well as a CAL
for user  that accesses a server running SQL Server - that's each user,
not each concurrent user.)

Back in the day Citrix had a recommendation for SQL licensing which I've
found here (http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX106176) which meant 30
odd users meant it was cheaper to get a processor license, 60 odd 2
processor license.

So - what type of SQL licenses have you got If you've got processor
licenses - happy days; otherwise you may be short.