[THIN] Re-Map Drives (was Install Order)

  • From: Euan Cooper <Euan.Cooper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 15:57:26 +1300

Seeing it's very quiet here today - and I've always been one to stir the pot

I've always re-mapped drives.  If I recall correctly with Winview you didn't
actually have an option - you could select which drive to re-map the local
drives to during installation.  Hard to remember now - and I only ever
installed Winview a few times - one test/pilot/proof of concept installation
and two live installations.

I did work briefly with a Winframe site that had already been set-up with
re-mapped drives.  Had the same with my current job where Metaframe was
already installed and operational with re-mapped drives - we have been
through several upgrades since then but there never has been a big enough
reason to go away from re-mapped drives.

In my previous position I was involved in a clean implementation of
Metaframe 1.8 - primarily to run a single application.  There were other
benefits to deploying MF - but this app was the sole driving force.  No need
to bore you with all the details, but during the "proof of concept" phase of
this implementation I decided (after looking at the options/alternatives)
the to re-map the drives on the servers was the best answer - YMMV but for
this installation of this application it worked out OK.

-Ec