[THIN] Re: Ramifications of UDP in MFXP farm

  • From: Euan Cooper <Euan.Cooper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:15:48 +1200

While we are doing something similar in production our system is MUCH
smaller that yours.

Having said that - are you not currently using UDP in your existing setup?
If this is working OK it should be fine with your proposed migration.   Yes
it is true that using pure TCP+HTTP would be a better option than having to
use UDP broadcasts but so what - sometimes we just have to use what we have
got!

The only issue I have seen on our system (MFXPe+FR2 on W2k+SP3) is that the
farm setting for Data collectors respond to ICA Client broadcasts regularly
turns itself off (we do not have any 1.8 servers) - this did catch me out
untill I turned on the setting on some of our production servers - since
then no problems.

You will still have to deal with things like UDP across different subnets -
but it is not like you are new to all this.

-Ec