[THIN] Re: Profile redirection

  • From: "Joe Shonk" <joe.shonk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 10:29:27 -0700

You're right; a simple redesign of roaming profiles will go a long ways.
There is a reason why Microsoft doesn't pick and choose which settings to
save and which to not.  Basically everything in the profile is important
therefore it all must go.  However, for some customers, certain settings are
no longer important therefore we now have the option to pick and choose what
we save and what we don't.

The challenge with and the power of flex is dealing binary data like
StuckRect2 or machine specific user data such as Bags (ShelllNoRoam).   I
find it comical in that the customers that are using Flex are the ones that
want it save everything.  They want the clock, the background, secondary
passwords, Desktop Icon location saved, etc.   The organizations that are
only deploying a few apps via Citrix are the one that don't want to use
flex/mandatory and they are best candidates!  Others are deploying 100-500
applications, that quite a bit of work in Flex alone.

For the most part, standard roaming profiles do work (with UPHClean) and to
manage the orphaned profiles you've described I use a script I wrote
(http://www.theshonkproject.com/index.php?option=com_content
<http://www.theshonkproject.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25
&Itemid=1> &task=view&id=25&Itemid=1).

Now, with Application Virtualization, profile management gets really
interesting.  One of these days I may get around to writing a how-to flex
with softgrid.

Joe

  _____