[THIN] Re: OT corrupted directoryfiles Win2k

  • From: "Craig Harris" <charris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 23:55:46 -0700

Hi Nick,

One trick I recall to delete "weird" files is to go to a command prompt and
then use wildcards creatively to delete the files.  For example, let's say
you have the following file (I'm completely making this up):
 normal%normal^.doc

(where % and ^ are the weird "Motley Crue" characters you're seeing)

To remove the file (which the OS can't properly deal with because it
contains illegal characters), go to a command prompt and type:
delete normal?normal?.doc

(i.e. whererever there is a strange character, replace it with a ?, which is
a dos wildcard meaning match *any* character - in this case it will even
match illegal ones)

I'm not sure if this works with directories....

Craig