[THIN] OT: Blocking MSN Messenger

  • From: Justin Martin <jmartin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 09:27:06 -0400

I know that this is very off topic but I will give it a shot. What is the
best way to block traffic to a specific IP address? I am trying to block
access to 207.46.104.20 which is a logon server for MSN Messenger. Is there
something that I can add to my DNS (Win2k) rather than using a Hosts file to
redirect any traffic going to this IP? The traffic is using ports 80 and
1863. If I setup a policy in my firewall to deny access to both ports
obviously users can not browse the web - if only 1863 is denied then they
still connect via port 80.

Thanks
Justin

Scanned by  MailScan Anti-Virus and Content Security Software.
Visit http://www.mwti.net for more info on eScan and MailScan.