[THIN] OT: 2k3 NSLookup / DNS Weirdness

  • From: "John Hardwick" <jhardwick@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:55:02 -0600

All,

I've been working with MS on this and they can't give me an answer
either.

From a 2K3 member server or even on the DCs themselves if I do a
nslookup for the short name of a server... i.e. Server1 I receive an
instant response.

If I do a lookup for the full name i.e. Server1.domainname.tld I get a
response timed out followed by a response.

If I do a lookup for Server1.domainname.tld. (note the period at the
end) I get an instant response with no failure.

All of the 2K3 Servers are pointed to the 2K3 DCs for DNS resolution and
I've tried having the 2K3 DNS servers forward and not forward with no
difference in the results.  MS's statement is that NSLookup has
different logic and behaves differently than a ping etc and that it
knows when it should append the local domain suffix or not.  All of the
machines have no suffixes defined for them.  What made me notice this
was periodic failures on my anti-spam stuff where it would lookup for
example mail.citrix.com.2k3domainame.tld

I know from other 2K3 deployments I've done that out of the box I should
be able to do a nslookup without having to put a period at the end of
the query or having to change the suffix in NSlookup.

 - John.

John Hardwick

President

nXio, LLC.