[THIN] Re: New worm ALERT!!

  • From: "Rick Mack" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:04:58 +1000

Hi People,

My wife brought a brand new variant of an old worm OPASRV home from school. Not
detected by the latest versions of Norton, Trend or McAfee.

Symptoms are high CPU utilization, slow or blocked network access.

The payload is a 20K executable, srv32.exe which installs itself as a service
and is located in system32.

The old OPASRV worm spread from other infected PCs via port 137, not sure what
this one does.

Initial mode of infection not known as yet.

Removal is fairly straighforward. Use taskmgr to kill srv32.xe and delete the
srv32 entry under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services.

I'm send a copy of the worm to Trend for analysis.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
Volante Systems