[THIN] Re: Need Some help with a printing issue

  • From: "David Teague" <DavidT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:54:38 -0500

"David,
How are the printers in that app defined? Are the printers defined
within the app itself and uses a custom variable to define the users
default printer(seen that before) or does the app uses the NT printer
definitions? If the user prints from another app to its default printer,
is that the correct one?"

I believe our app picks up the printers from what ever windows gives it.
The printers are setup on the terminal server, the users do not map
them. Unfortunaly there are no other apps on this box to test what
happens when our app does this. I was going to have them print out of
WordPad however when you print out of WordPad it brings up a printer
dialog. Our app will print a lot of stuff to the windows default printer
with out asking you to specify the printer.

Thanks
David Teague

Anyway some other helpful info below...
Use the PowerFuse solution instead to push that full desktop (or just
the Delphi app.) This way you are assured that the printer connection
will remain intact and you will have a total secure desktop which is
easy to manage and control.

PowerFuse handles printer connections far more efficient then scripting
or standard NT methods. It offers printer connections based on ADS,
geographical location, Groups, user etc. and gives you the possibility
to define default printers based upon multiple rules(PowerZones).
PowerFuse also has a fail over mechanism for printers.

After a (Mandatory if desired ) time out the desktop will be locked.
When the user returns, it will still have its original settings intact.

Hope this will be of any help to you.

Best regards,

Guido Meulendijks