[THIN] Re: Microsoft to Announce Linux Partnership

  • From: "George Yobst" <george.yobst@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 09:55:51 -0800

I know, bad form to reply to your own email, but here's an interesting
(ugly) angle:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/06/microsoft_novell_analysis/

-George

On 11/6/06, George Yobst <george.yobst@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Isn't Novell the actual original owner of the unix copyrights that's at
the bottom of the SCO/IBM litigation.  And didn't MIcrosoft GENEROUSLY buy
'insurance' from SCO to keep from getting (ahem) sued to fund such
litigation.  And didn't Novell nail SCO for such claims in court (it's been
so long I can't keep it all straight).  And now Novell+Microsoft, hmmmm.
Anybody else see a love triangle?  Run Novell, run!
-George

*http://online.wsj.com/article/SB116249026689311557.html*<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB116249026689311557.html>

> > Microsoft to Announce Linux Partnership
> > By ROBERT A. GUTH
> > November 2, 2006 2:16 p.m.
> >
> > Microsoft Corp. is entering into an unusual partnership with Novell
> > Inc. that gives a boost to the Linux operating system, a rival to the
> > software giant's Windows software, according to people familiar with the
> > companies.
> >
> > Under the pact, which isn't final, Microsoft will offer sales support
> > of Suse Linux, a version of the operating system sold by Novell. The two
> > companies have also agreed to develop technologies to make it easier for
> > users to run both Suse Linux and Microsoft's Windows on their computers. The
> > two companies are expected to announce details of their plan today at a
> > press conference in San Francisco.
> >
> > In addition, Microsoft won't assert rights over patents over software
> > technology that may be incorporated into Suse Linux, the people said.
> > Businesses that use Linux have long worried that Microsoft would one day
> > file patent infringement suits against sellers of the rival software.
> >
> > The pact marks an unusual level of cooperation between two longtime
> > rivals. Microsoft has been battling all versions of Linux, but has faced
> > pressure to assure that customers can run both Windows and Linux without
> > problems.
> >
> > By forging a peace pact with one seller of Linux, Microsoft could
> > raise pressure on Red Hat Inc., the leading provider of Linux, and a Novell
> > rival. Last week, Oracle Corp. announced that it would start selling its own
> > support for Red Hat's version of Linux, a plan that undercuts Red Hat's own
> > business, which is based on providing support and maintenance. Red Hat's
> > shares fell sharply after that announcement.
> >
> > Novell, originally known for a network operating system called
> > NetWare, has also scrapped with Microsoft over sales of desktop application
> > programs after Novell bought Wordperfect Corp. and rights to the Quattro Pro
> > spreadsheet for more than $1.4 billion. Partly because of stiff competition
> > from Microsoft, Novell later sold those products for about $170 million; it
> > filed an antitrust suit in 2004 against Microsoft, seeking damages related
> > to the tactics Microsoft used in the applications-software market.
> >
> > Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer is in San Francisco to
> > announce the pact. Spokesmen for Microsoft and Novell couldn't be reached
> > for comment.

George Yobst, Library Technology Analyst        phone: 503.723.4890
Library Information Network of Clackamas County   fax: 503.794.8238
16239 SE McLoughlin Blvd, Suite 208         web:
http://www.lincc.lib.or.us
Oak Grove, OR 97267-4654                  email: george.yobst@xxxxxxxxx
"...it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn
what he thinks he already knows."  - Epictetus