[THIN] Re: Memory Usage

  • From: "Rick Mack" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:08:39 +1000

Hi Geoff,

The scalability comments have to be put into perspective.

On Microsoft's side, Windows Server 2003 upped many of the memory limitations
that were inherent in Windows 2000 such as the maximum registry size. The base
operating system image is also fairly lean and stuff like garbage collection
has improved markedly compared to 2000. If your users numbers were limited on
WIndows 2000 because of kernel memory constraints, 2003 is going to be heaps
more scalable.

From a straight application platform viewpoint, Server 2003 is generally more
scalable that 2000 server, things like a bloated exporer.exe aside. However
what has to be added into the mix is that most people upgrade all their
application versions when they upgrade the o.s. If for example you've upgraded
to Office 2003 etc things are bigger and uglier, period.

There's also the small matter that many of the scalability benchmarks are
totally inappropriate or inapplicable to real life, but I guess that's all
marketting :-(

On the Citrix front, PS4 has a larger system footprint than Metaframe XP.
However if you've got PS4 enterprise you've also got DLL remapping (memory
optimization) which, depending on the application mix, can significantly reduce
the total memory used by applications. However this is application dependent,
some apps give you a huge saving, some none at all, and some will break with
DLL remapping turned on.

You mileage will vary and if you've upgraded your application software as well,
it's likely that if your systems were memory limited you'll be supporting less
users because of a larger total per-user memory footprint.

It's a bit like the x64 story. If the only bottleneck you've got is kernel
memory limitations with lots of everything else then x64 will scale much
further than 32 bit Windows. But if physical memory as opposed to memory
addressing capability is your problem, then the larger memory footprint of x64
applications will ensure you get less rather than more users on a box.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
Volante Systems